My Week in Oahu

The first week of my Epic Adventure of a Lifetime has been absolutely crazy, to say the least. I've had some serious ups and downs, but that's what this is all about! I embarked on this trip to learn, to change, and to experience...and I've already checked off all three. 

I have a lot I want to say and write about, but a lot of it is a little too personal to put on this blog. Sorry guys, but I'm gonna keep some of the juicy stuff to myself and my little leather diary. BUT, I will tell you a list of things that I liked and didn't like about my week here on Oahu, Hawaii.

Enjoy...

NEGATIVES:
-The worst traffic in the history of the world is on this island. Seriously, LA traffic is nothing compared to this      stuff here.
-There are some hardcore locals that aren't too friendly to white people outside of the touristy areas.
-Japanese people flood Honolulu like a plague...not necessarily a problem, but really eerie to me since they were the ones who...oh I don't know...made international history for bombing the hell out of this place just a few decades ago. 
-Definitely make reservations for places to stay BEFORE getting to the island. Just to set up hammocks you need a permit and hotels are generally out of the question. That whole "spontaneous trip" thing went out the weekend after the first day on my own. 
-The famous Northshore hardly has any waves at all during the summer months. 

POSITIVES:
-It's freaking Hawaii!
-Lychee fruit is seriously delicious.
-Spam musubi is a lot better tasting than you would ever think.
-The only fast food places you see are McDonalds and they are very far and few between.
-Tattoos are everywhere and widely accepted. 
-The local girls and guys are super in shape and wear some pretty gnarly, revealing bathing suits.
-The beaches are incredible no matter where on the island you go.
-Sea turtles and reefs are everywhere (though it's very illegal to touch either of them!)
-There are some seriously friendly people everywhere you go. Whether they've lived on Hawaii their entire lives or took a vacation over here a few months ago and haven't left yet...people want to talk to you always. They love having so many people from all over the world and all walks of life come through their shops or places to stay. Makes you feel pretty dang good.

I've noticed that Oahu, even though it's got a lot of the stereotypical "island" feel...it's still very touristy. From what a local told me, a little over 1 million people live throughout all the islands of Hawaii, but almost 900,000 of them live in Oahu alone. 

I'm more excited than I can say to head up to Kauai tomorrow morning to check out the Garden Island for the next two weeks. Frolicking in private waterfalls, lounging on secluded beaches, and getting to see an old friend that I haven't seen in years...seriously, what could get better than that?

Oh, and on a side note referring back to my earlier posts...I'm feeling A LOT better now. I knew it was just those "before the plunge" jitters that were getting to me before. Because now that I'm knee-deep in this trip, all my previous fears and emotions have practically vanished. Though I will say that I'm still missing some people quite a bit...and I don't think that will ever go away. 

Until next time!

-Little Blonde Traveler